Ordinance No. 1373
ORDINANCE NO. 1373
To amend and adopt several sections beginning in Chapter 6, "Dog and Animals, "Article 1, "Definitions"; Section 6-101 "Definitions"; Article 3, "Animals; Section 6-310 Animals; At Large; Owner's Duty and Section 6-311 Animal; Habitually At Large; also to adopt Sections 303 (f), 602 (f) and Table 4-2 Permitted Uses by Zoning Districts, Zoning Regulations of the City of Chadron regarding Hobby Chickens, to repeal all Ordinances and parts of Ordinances in conflict herewith; directing the publication of this Ordinance and prescribing the time when the Ordinance shall be in full force and effect.
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF CHADRON NEBRASKA:
Section 1. Chapter 6, "Dogs and Animals", Article 1 "Definitions"; Section 6-101 "Definitions" of Ordinance No. 1000 being the Municipal Code of the City of Chadron, Nebraska, is hereby amended by revising the definition for "At Large" to read: Any dog or other animal not confined by an adequate fence or on a leash either tied to a stationary object or held by a competent person on public or private property, "Domestic Animal" shall be amended to read: Any cat, or dog, or hobby chicken, or other livestock. Livestock includes buffalo, deer, antelope, fowl or any other animal in any zoo, wildlife park, refuge orany nature center intended to be an exhibit."Passed, approved and ordered published this 21st day of July, 2014
Section 2. Chapter 6, "Dogs and Animals", Article 3, "Animals", Section 6-310 "Animals; At Large; Owner's Duty" is hereby adopted to read: "It shall be unlawful for the owner of any animal or the owner of any property where an animal resides within the City to allow that animal to run at large within the City."
Section 3. Chapter 6, "Dogs and Animals", Article 3, "Animals, Section 6-31 "Animals; Habitually At Large; Owner's Duty," is hereby adopted to read "It shall be unlawful for the owner of any animal or the owner of any property where an animal resides within the City to allow that animal to habitually run at large within the City."
Section 4. Article 3 Zoning Regulations of the City of Chadron, Section 303 (f), is hereby adopted and shall read as follows:
303 (f) Hobby Chickens. Use of the site to raise chickens, excluding rooster, for hobby, recreational, subsidence of non-commercial purposes.Section 5. Article 6 of the Zoning Regulations of the City of Chadron, SEction 602 (f) is hereby adopted and shall read as follows:
Hobby Chickens.Section 6. Article 4 Zoning Regulations of the City of Chadron, Table 4-2 is amended by adding "Hobby Chickens" under use types and permitting the use in all Zoning Districts.
1. Allow chickens for hobby, recreations, subsistence or non-commercial purposes.
2. Allow chickens in all zoning districts within the City limits and in the City's extra-territorial areas.
3. Maximum of six (6) chickens within the City limits. The maximum limitations as set forth in Section 303 of the Zoning Regulations of the City of Chadron shall apply in the Chadron extra-territorial jursidiction.
4. No roosters allowed.
5. Enclosure for chickens required in rear yard only (no free roaming chickens).
6. Must be a 20 foot set back from side lot lines.
7. No rear yard set back.
8. Annual application required.
9. Annual permit fee of $25.00.
10. Permit is non-transferable.
11. All property owners must sign the permit application. Any tenant seeking a permit must have the property owner sign the permit application prior to issuance.
Section 7. All Ordinances and parts of Ordinances in conflict herewith are hereby repealed.
Section 8. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage, approval and publication according to law.
CITY OF CHADRON, NEBRASKA
/s/ Karen J. Fischer
/s/ Donna J. Rust